If you have been one of the unfortunate individuals to have fallen for a false urban legend, you probably have some unique experiences that you can share with others. Hundreds of urban myths occur each year, but some victims were not even aware that they were at risk for being gullible. As a living victim, you can help raise awareness of the possibilities open to thousands of people for the opportunity of a lifetime – to debunk an urban legend. Many people would be interested in reading the blog of a myth debunker, whether or not you were originally taken in by the myth. Here are a few tips to help get you started:
- Design: You can start off with WordPress website hosting as the foundation for your blog. WordPress is the numero uno blog software (no myth!), favored by hundreds of thousands of websites around the world because it is intuitive to use. You choose a theme (free or commercial) to customize your website and bestow upon it the look and feel that you desire. You can create separate pages for each myth in addition to your own blog. You can even establish a forum where others can exchange gossip and ideas.
- Content: You should try to post a new blog once a week, more if you have many interesting legends to convey. This keeps you website fresh and attracts new and returning fans. Make the effort to write flawlessly – allow no mistakes regarding grammar, spelling or punctuation, and make proper use of English or whatever language you write in. This is important because a poorly written blog will not debunk myths nor reflect well upon you. If you need help editing your material, contact a professional writer – they are easily found through a Google search. Pick a few keywords and use them consistently throughout your content. This will make it faster for search engines to correctly index your website, and thus help you garner increased traffic.
- Backlinks: You can boost your site’s search engine results by purchasing a number of quality backlinks. These are hyperlinks from authoritative websites that are directed at your site. Only high-quality backlinks will enhance your site’s results:
- The anchor text on the source site must be a keyword on your website.
- The source site must be thought of as authoritative; that is, have a high Page Rank. A high-authority site provides “link juice” to you website, which perks up your own Page Rank and thus search engine results.
- The source site should cover the same general topic, urban myths or legends, as your own.
- The backlinks should arise from the main body of the source site page, never from sidebars or footers.
You can acquire backlinks from an online website set up for this purpose.
Take the time to educate a gullible person by debunking an urban myth. It’s a positive way to give back to the community.